10 Things You Need To Know Before You Sell Your Home
10 Things You Need To Know Before You Sell Your Home
Everyone has their reasons for selling their home; whether it is for personal reasons, changes in lifestyle, or just because you want to do something completely different. Knowing what you need to do and how to prepare your home for sale could save you a lot of time, headaches, and quite possible, get your home sold in less time.
1. Hire an Experienced Agent- Having an experience agent to walk you through the process of selling your home is almost as important as hiring an efficient accountant. You would not want just anyone to manage your finances, and since selling your home is one of the largest transaction most people will experience, having a great Agent goes without saying. So make sure you are represented by an agent who know their stuff.
2. Have Some Idea of What Your Home is Worth - Before your initial contact with an Agent, know where you stand with your current investment. Having some ideas of what you home is worth versus the amount you owe can give you and your agent a better idea of what the next steps are with your home. If you do not know how to do this, you can contact your agent or use online tools like Zillows' Zestimate.
3. Avoid the Urge to List higher then you need to - This is one of the most important tips. Although your research shows that listing your home higher than market value is obtainable, but it is not always the case. Many factors go into prefect pricing, and some tools do not account for the unknown variables. The best advice here is to let your agent know what you are thinking your home is worth, and allow them to create a custom CMA (Comparative Market Analysis) to really drill down what your home is worth. This way you will have a better idea of the actual value of your home and can have your home sold much faster though competitive pricing.
4. Detach and Depersonalize - Some people have lived in their homes all their lives and have created numerous memories which may be hard to come to terms with. This is the time to figure out if selling your home is something that you are able to do or need to wait a while. It is important to come to terms with these feeling early in the selling process, because it could linger and cause future deals to fall apart simple because the seller did not detach their personal feeling for the home earlier in the transaction.
5. Fix Known Problems Before You List - Addressing certain issues before your list your property will ensure your property sales fast. Most lenders require some form of inspection. So just because the buy may have missed the issue initially, does not guarantee the inspector will, which may in return, ultimately, cause your deal to fall though. So it best to be preemptive about known issues with your home before you list it for sale.
6. Having Realistic Expectations - You should understand that selling your home does not happen overnight. Even though you have enlisted one of the top agents in the area, this does not mean that your home will sell instantly. Maintaining realistic expectations will keep your stress levels low and create a positive selling experience for you as well as your agent.
7. Cleanliness and Pet Management - Having a neat and clean house before your home is listed will remove the stress of having to clean before every showing or not showing your home in the best light possible. If you have a pet, that's awesome we love pets too, but your buyer may not. It is best to keep your pet cleanliness at a manageable level. You do not want to scare away any potential buyers because of your pet's cleanliness. It's great to start practicing this earlier on and get into a normal routine until your home is sold.
8. Modernize Your Home - Adding a coat of paint and new carpet could go a long way in selling your home. Buyer like to see that the home is well taken care of. So before you list, grab a fresh set of eyes or your agent and walk through your home. Challenge yourself to find something that could be better, and make it better. (here are some ways you can modernize your home) It will show in your photos, and be express in your home that you are an owner who cares about the appearance and maintains of your home. This is not just for the inside but the curb-side as well. Adding some nice, colorful flowers to your yard, or pressure washing the driveway could go a long way to everyone who passes by your home. Just make your home appear like it was newly built, so that the buyer can feel the same way you did when you initially fell in love with your home.
9. Ask the Right Questions - You are working with an experience agent for a reason. Never have any doubt about anything in your transaction. Ask your agent all the tough questions to ensure this is the right decision for you. Don't wait till the last minute to get information on the selling procedures of your home, know before you ever list.
10. Relax and Let Your Agent Sell Your Home - At this point, you have done everything you can do to get your home sold. All you can do is relax and be confident that you have hired the right person for the job and they will work endlessly to find the perfect buyer for your home.
These are just a few of the things a seller needs to consider when thinking about selling their home. The idea is to make the transaction easy and seamless. Keeping this tips in mind would remove a lot of stress and worries from your shoulders and turn selling your home into an exciting adventure.
Sparking Smiles Plus Dedication Equals RE/MAX Sterling
RE/MAX Sterling was founded by Lazaro & Jami Marganon and is locally owned and operated by them. RE/MAX Sterling is comprised of two offices serving all of Northeast Florida.
Our customers experience the concierge services provided by our courteous, experienced, and full time agents. Real Estate is their #1 priority and focus.
Your real estate needs are of upmost importance at RE/MAX Sterling. We believe strongly on our promise, to you, of reliability, honesty, trust, and skill.
OUR PROMISE TO YOU
Reliability ~ You Can Count On US
Honesty ~ No False Promises
Trust ~ Confidence for Us to Represent You
Skill ~ Market Knowledge and Education
The RE/MAX network has over 90,000 agents in over 95 countries. Nobody sells more real estate than RE /MAX. RE/MAX associates average more sales than any other real estate agents.
Let a RE/MAX Sterling agent guide you on your next real estate transaction and experience our concierge services.